272 Codsell Ave
North York, ON M3H 3X2
Purim Oneg Shabbat: Masks and Un-Masking
- Purim is a holiday of merry-making, messiness, and masks. Come learn about the “peekaboo” in Purim!
- We’ll have a short Shabbat ceremony led by Rabbi Denise with music by Mickey Lewin, followed by a Purim masquerade party.
- Featuring special guest Stephen LaFrenie, a theatre performer and mask-maker, who will discuss the history and significance of masks, how to create your own mask and the use of masks as teaching instruments. Several styles of masks will be demonstrated from full face masks to Italian style half masks of the Commedia Dell’Arte. The presentation will conclude with a Q&A session.
- Don your own mask and win a prize!
- There will be mystery, intrigue, and, of course, refreshments!
Purim TZEDAKAH project: We are participating in our School’s collection of Kosher for Passover food for the NCJW Passover Food Drive. Everything is welcome: Matzah, Gefilte Fish, Canned Tuna, Tea, Canned Fruit/Apple Sauce, Grape/Apple Juice, Jam, Matzah Meal, Soup/Side Dishes, Passover Crackers, Macaroons/Cookies. THANK YOU!
About Stephen LaFrenie:
Stephen has performed and taught physical theatre for over 38 years. His training includes Movement, Improvisation, Character Study, Voice, Mime Technique, and Acrobatics, among other disciplines. He has toured extensively around the globe. A recipient of multiple Arts in Education grants from the Ontario Arts Council, he has taught in schools, colleges & universities across Canada and in Australia. Stephen’s outreach work also spans thirty years including work with abused teenagers, mentally and physically challenged performers, adult and youth offenders, and volunteering annually in Haiti. He dedicates his performances to all international volunteers and peace workers committed to ending violent conflict.